Many people suffer from bruxism, or the chronic or habitual grinding and clenching of their teeth. Bruxism occurs most frequently at night, when you are not aware of the grinding and clenching actions of your teeth, and it can cause significant damage to your teeth and oral health. Common signs of bruxism include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain and ear pain
- Waking up with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, including chipped, flattened and cracked teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- The development of TMJ problems
If you notice any of these signs, you may benefit from wearing a custom night guard while you sleep. Our dentist may recommend night guards to protect your teeth and smile while you sleep. This oral appliance is designed to fit your teeth and mouth comfortably and works by preventing your teeth from touching, stopping the damage from occurring so that your teeth can remain strong and healthy. If damage has already occurred, the night guard will prevent it from becoming worse, allowing you to receive restorative treatments and regain a healthy mouth and smile.
Give us a call at 586-254-3860 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Bruno Giglio at MI Smile Team and learn more about how night guards in Sterling Heights, Michigan, can benefit you!